Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ode to the Mug

Ode to the Mug
Oh, Mug
You hug my morning tea,
Making sure he stays at
Just the right temperature.
Your rounded edges
Fit the contours of my
Palms perfectly, as I
Wrap them around you,
Feeling your warmth
On a frigid, snowy day.
A mug, so simple in design,
Yet it brings me happiness
That has no end. Seeing
Your magnificent body,
I can’t help but wonder
As to why I’m this fortunate.
This lucky to fill you with
Darjeeling, honey, and ice.
You make my mornings bearable,
My afternoons less tiring, and
My nights more rejuvenating.
Your brim, lipped and lined in
Ruby red paint, sparks memories
Of kisses, long and bittersweet,
As I sip. The exquisite flora’s creator,
A brush, gracefully glided along your
Skin, introducing orange to violet,
 scarlet to olive,
Sunshine to moonlight.
You bravely endure the
Merciless dishwasher for me,
To serve me, to continue
To hold my liquid energy.
And, once, when I dropped you,
Chipping a piece of white porcelain
From your fair, radiant shell,
Not a word of distain was thrown from
Your mouth, not a resentful stare was
Shot from your eyes.
Oh, mug, your
Glorious finger hold.
It sprouts from high on your build,
And expertly dances its way lower,
Twisting, and wrapping,
Dipping and rising.
At the end of this crimson
Wave, there is a ceramic flower
Painted in creamy yellow and powdery white
More elegant and full than any
Other to grace my gaze.
Oh, Mug.
Your days are endless,
Your beauty, boundless,
Your enduring, relentless.
Oh, Mug.
I’ll leave you here for now,
With the remnants of black tea
Staining your belly.
But when I come back,
The sun will be tired, as will I;
I’ll rinse you out, and restore
You to your throne,
Close the cabinet door,
And drift off into paradise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment